Dear South School Community:
We are excited to share our Reboot Energize for Success Plan as we have moved into the new year 2018. We have put the additional resources in place that we received from the School Improvement Grant of $170,000 for the Department of Education. We have identified the following need for our students by analyzing student achievement data, staff and parent/community input, and, most importantly, student feedback:
- Increased instructional academic intervention support
- Anti-Bullying Staff Training & Student Support
- Student Extra-Curricular Enrichment Activities
- School Community Health & Wellness Activities
- Staff Instructional Professional Development in Literacy (Orton Gillinham Instructional Practices using Sonday System)
South’s Reboot Energize for Success Plan
- Increase student achievement in reading & math to improve student academic growth by 1 year growth
- Meet a literacy indicator of 80% proficient or higher in a grade level from 3rd – 6th grade on the state report card.
- 100% of 3rd graders promoted to 4th grade by meeting the State’s 3rd grade guarantee requirement
- Close achievement gaps in reading & math grades 3rd – 6th
- Increase parent/community involvement by 20%
- Decrease out-of-school suspensions by 10%
Plan of Action:
- Hire & assign certified teacher tutors in reading and math to grades Kdg – 6th
- Hire a Community School Resource Coordinator
- Teachers will weekly track student reading and math achievement by implementing short cycle assessments utilizing the PDSA (Plan, Do, Study, Action) process
- Hire and provide extra-curricular activities & health/wellness activities
- Strategically implement and track PBIS plan by utilizing data to improve school safety, and create a positive school environment
School Improvement Grant, Certified teachers & tutors, 1-1 Chromebooks 3rd - 6th grade, School Community Resource Coordinator, Sonday Systems, PBIS Plan
Weekly tracking of instructional practices and student academic success during Teacher Based Team meetings facilitated by Administrators.
Dear South Parents/Students:
It is my pleasure and honor to join the Mt. Healthy South Elementary Team! I am a proud graduate of Mt. Healthy City Schools and I am excited to be the Principal in my home school district. I am thrilled to announce we have a new Administrative staff who will be an excellent asset to South Elementary. We have been busy these last few weeks hiring new teachers who are passionate about working with our students and who love teaching. The PTO and the staff is planning a grand celebration to welcome our awesome students back to school. We are looking forward to an energized, exciting and fun school year for our children with the strong focus on student achievement. We are expecting our students to be ready to work hard and give their best everyday starting day 1, Thursday, August 17th the first day of school.
We are prepared to welcome every student to South with open arms, to a positive and nurturing environment which sets the tone for standard base teaching and engaged learning for teachers and students in a safe place every day!
We will implement this school year the Positive School Intervention and Supports (PBIS) program that creates a positive, safe and thriving school environment. Staff will be the role models and will teach daily our schoolwide expectations. Students will have many opportunities to earn rewards, and understand self-control under the PBIS program. Therefore, it will be understood by all stakeholders that teaching and learning in a safe school environment is our priority at SOUTH!
We are excited to announce we will offer an extra-curricular afterschool program that will include many clubs and sporting activities. We need parents to volunteer and support our afterschool programming. Please look for information in the future about volunteer opportunities to support our students.
I look forward to meeting everyone at the Welcome Back to School Carnival on Tuesday, August 15th 4pm – 7pm and on the first day of school, Thursday, August 17th!
Please memorize our schoolwide expectations as we get ready for a most successful school year at SOUTH!
I AM SAFE I AM KIND I AM RESPONSIBLE
Yzvetta L. Macon, Principal